Global Panel on Agriculture and Food Systems for Nutrition
The Global Panel on Agriculture and Food Systems for Nutrition is an independent group of influential experts with a commitment to tackling global challenges in food and nutrition security. The Global Panel works to strengthen the evidence-base for action on nutrition and promote opportunities for agriculture and food systems to contribute to improving nutrition.
Enhancing the Global Panel’s social media traction
Since March 2016, WRENmedia has worked to provide strategic communications expertise and support to the Global Panel. Between March and November 2016, WRENmedia took over management of Global Panel’s Twitter account (@Glo_PAN) to increase the organisation’s visibility and generate greater online engagement in their activities.
By providing social media coverage to build anticipation before specific events and designing striking infographics and quotes for followers to share, WRENmedia was able to more than double the number of Global Panel’s new Twitter followers per month (to 80-100) and more the treble the number of post impressions (to 95,000).
Since the success of WRENmedia’s live tweeting from the African Development Bank’s annual meeting in Lusaka in 2016 to raise awareness of African Leaders for Nutrition, which helped achieve 56,600 tweet impressions, 110 new followers and 2,691 profile visits in May that year, we have continued to provide this type of social media support for other key events, including:
- The online launch of the policy brief Healthy diets for all: A key to meeting the SDGs at a 2017 high level round table event in Dhaka, Bangladesh on delivering healthy diets in South Asia.
- The online launch of Urban Diets and Nutrition: Trends, Challenges and Opportunities for Policy Action at the 2017 World Food Prize event in Iowa.
- The launch of the 2017 Global Nutrition Report in Milan, during which WRENmedia posted key messages on Twitter from relevant Global Panel briefs that helped generate 23,500 impressions on the day.
Strategic communication planning and events organisation
WRENmedia has developed communication strategies to promote the launch of the Global Panel’s publications at different nutrition-related events worldwide, which has included the organisation and editing of op-eds, press releases, website updates, social media toolkits and blogs. In 2016, we also organised two All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) meetings at the House of Commons in Westminster, London as well as an evening event in Nairobi, Kenya for the launch of various policy briefs and reports:
- Managing Food Price Volatility: Policy Options to Support Healthy Diets and Nutrition in the Context of Uncertainty, this policy brief was launched in March 2016 at the House of Commons in collaboration with the APPG on Agriculture and Food for Development, at an evening event organised by WRENmedia.
- How can Agriculture and Food System Policies Improve Nutrition? This technical brief was launched at a high-level round table event on 12 April 2016 in Accra, Ghana, during the 12th Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program Partnership Platform.
- The Costs of Malnutrition: Why Policy Action is Urgent, on the day of the African Green Revolution Forum in September 2016 in Nairobi, Kenya, this policy brief was launched at an evening event organised by WRENmedia. Our activity on Twitter generated over 18,000 impressions, 91 retweets, 70 likes and 47 new followers to the Global Panel page.
- Food systems and diets: Facing the challenges of the 21st century, with the assistance of WRENmedia to pull out key messages and statistics from the brief, create infographics and edit event invitations and web text, this Foresight report was launched in Rome in September 2016, and in New Delhi and Ghana in October 2016. The report was also launched in the UK at a second APPG event organised by WRENmedia at the House of Commons in November 2016.